CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 14, 2010

***St Patty's Day Homemade Oreos***

In light of the green holiday approaching us soon, I decided to make some homemade oreos. Instead of the typical ones, we had green oreos with chocolate creme filling! They turned out fun, cute and SO yummy!


Start with a yellow cake mix, 2 eggs and 1/2 C shortening. Mix it all up!
Then add a few drops of green food coloring. Mine turned out mint green with about ten drops, so if you want a brighter green add 15-20 drops
It will turn out something like this!
I used my smallest cookie scoop, but if you don't have one just make your cookies about 2 tsp big
Put a dozen on a greased sheet.
....and give them about eight and a half mins at 350 degrees
I made 40 cookies total out of my mix, so it will make 20 oreos once they are sandwiched. Put them on a cooling rack and let them cool completely
Then make the frosting. Normally I would just make regular cream cheese frosting and make it green, but today I felt we could all use a little chocolate. So I made the frosting with half stick butter, 1 block cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 C powdered sugar and 2 tsp cocoa. Blend it well!
Put a heap of frosting on half the cookies. The above recipe makes plenty so be generous!
Then find them an equal size cookie to be sandwiched with and pinch them together!
WA LAH!! You have adorable sweet green homemade oreos! I gotta say the chocolate filling really made these super yummy, but if you wanna green it up for the 17th, I think it would be worth it!
Hope you all have a rockin fun St Patrick's day with lots of yummy green food!

Happy Baking!

Amanda

3 compliments to the chef:

Leah

YUM! I love homemade oreos but haven't found the perfect recipe yet. maybe this is the one. Did you use shortening or can you use butter? still don't like the idea of shortening... what do you think?

Christee and Austin

I ate quite a few of these! Whatcha makin this Sunday for us he he!

Anonymous

this looks the yummiest, why must you make such yummy things. I'm trying to lose weight here,lol!