CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Almond Chicken

Recently I was talking with a group of friends and they were expressing how much they hate crock pots. I nearly died...I so love mine! I love that when you know the days are going to be nuts in the afternooon/evening you can deal with it early in the day and the longer it cooks the yummier it is.
But I gotta say, in their defense, that if I still had to use my old crock pot with a glass lid that "sits" on top to keep the moisture in, I would hate it too. I have the best crock pot in the world that has a rubber seal and latches tightly shut (also great for traveling because its air tight). This keeps all the moisture in so nothing is ever dried out...whew!




Seriously...I can't say enough about this crock pot. Ya need one. Period.

Ok Ok...on to the recipe. This is for a chicken main dish called almond chicken. It is super yummy and my kids totally love it. You start off with some celery. I use 3 stalks.


Chop em up to whatever size you prefer...this is what I did ;)
Put your chicken in the crock pot. You can leave it in full breasts or cut it like this. If you don't get it started early then you will need to cut it up so it cooks in time!


Then you will add a can of broth, soy sauce and dried minced onion over your chicken.
.
Then cook 2 strips of bacon and crumble it. I use the microwave bacon, zap it for 30 seconds and then crumble. It saves a whole lot of work...specially for a recipe like this that needs a measley 2 strips hehe
Then add your bacon and the chopped celery to the chicken. Cover and cook on low 3-? hours
When it is done it will look something like this.
**Bonus your whole house will smell super super yummy**
I like to serve it over brown rice and have more veggies and fruit. If you add a little of the broth mix over your rice it is super yummy too!
Here is a close up! I hope you like it...it is one of our fam favorites and other than the little bit of bacon, pretty healthy too! What a bonus!
Just in case you are wonderin why its almond chicken...you are supposed to sprinkle almonds at this point. I was out of them but it takes it to another level of yumminess!

Almond Chicken
1 can chicken broth
2 strips bacon, cooked, crumbled
2 tbs butter (I omit this because of allergies and its still fine)
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 C dried minced onion
2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C celery, chopped
Hot Cooked Rice
1 C slivered almonds (toasted is best)

Happy Cooking!

Amanda

4 compliments to the chef:

Christee and Austin

Glad you are enjoying my crock pot! Hope I get another one! Ü

Amanda

Hey I stole it in the night fair and square hehe! And they are pretty cheap at Walmart ;)

Christee and Austin

I noticed you started a blog for me called Wife School!! YAY!

Leah

funny but I always thought your almond chicken was a chinese dish. It was very yummy and very easy. I love that! and I am thinking I might need to get me one of those crock pots. now what is this about wife school????